I made his cap, scarf, trousers, vest and chimney sweep. The shirt was a used boys tuxedo shirt from ebay. The knit gloves from target (I simply cut off the fingers). I also got his boots off ebay, they are used leather paddock boots (they may have been girls since they had fringe near the toe). I just removed the fringe flap from the laces. The suspenders are men's which I had to alter and shorten to fit a boy. They are the Mens Canvas Button-End Old West Suspender sold by beltoutlet.com.
Cap and Shoes
My Home Made Chimney Sweep Brush
FABRIC: I used wool for the pants, waistcoat (vest) and cap. The scarf is kona cotton.
PATTERNS: McCall's 6229 boys vest pattern view G, Burda kids 9507 Cap view A tweaked modified quite a bit, and Burda Kids 9452 for the trousers (without the cuff) . I attempted to add a split to the trousers, it was a bit rushed and not authentic. I was able to take the buckle tab pattern off one of my adult western trouser patterns and add that detail to the boys pants.
SHOES: Used leather paddock boots from ebay - the fringe at the toes was removed from the laces.
CHIMNEY SWEEP BRUSH: A metal bristle chimney sweep brush would have been too hazardous for a young boy to carry around. They are also large, heavy, and quite expensive. So I opted to make him one! I used two wooden dowels rods from a home improvement store. After cutting the larger one to length, I marked and drilled holes for the bristles. I also drilled a hole in the base for the smaller dowel rod pole to insert. Finally, I stained and sealed the wood. I did have to secure the top of the brush to the handle with a small screw. I wish I could take it apart for storage, but all of the glue makes that impossible.
I began gluing the bristles in with Gorilla Glue, that was a bad idea, it expands too much and oozes out the holes. I later converted to E6000 which gave a cleaner result. I ran out of time to glue in all the bristles before the Dickens Fair event. But he had fun with half the bristles in. I later completed it and gave an extra shot of charcoal black spray paint at the top of the brush for added weathering.