This was a Dragon Con masquerade project two years in the making. Video of our performance is on You Tube: Dragon Con Masquerade Indiana Jones Anything Goes. It looks simple, but trust me and everyone else who worked on these costumes - they are tougher to fit and construct than they look! I also had the added challenge of making tutorials + choreographing and teaching a dance for the masquerade. (Ashlee/Willie made her own dress. Here is her blog: http://luminousbeingscostumes.blogspot.com/ )
I researched and came up with patterns for both our "Fan Dancers" and "Tap Dancers." There were a lot of scrapped trials on the tap dancers as it turned out to be much harder to find a jacket pattern to start with and force it to fit like a bodice. And I had to draft the lower part of the jacket and the lapels on my own. I drafted and scratch built the Coolie hats and the Top Hats from millinery wire and buckram, posted detailed construction tutorials so the others could replicate the hats. Finding fabrics and trims that were as close to screen accurate as possible took quite some time, particularly for the "Fan Dancers." And then there was the break down of all the choreography. I'm not a pro, the last serious dance I took was when I was 13 years old, and two semesters in college of intermediate dance. So to break down the dance frame by frame, then teach it via video was a stretch for me! But it was a fun challenge, even if stressful at times.
To view more of my photos and information on making the costume visit my facebook page:
This is our group facebook page:
2015 Dragon Con Masquerade
Above photos by Bryan Humphrey
2016 Dragon Con Vintage Vogue Fashion Show
Above photos by David S.
FABRIC: We used silver and black lamé
fabric. We added a silver sequin mesh fabric overlay rather than hand stitching rows of sequins to the fabric. The top hats use black satin and individually applied rows of wavy black sequin trim just like the hats in the movie.
PATTERNS: I started out with a few different jacket and shirt patterns which were reworked to create the faux jacket that zips up the back like the movie costumes. I drafted the lapel and peplum. We altered various shorts patterns and added the black tab fronts which I also drafted for the group. I took a basic top hat pattern and re-drafted that with step by step tutorials to create a top hat as close to the size and shape of the film used top hats as possible using buckram and millinery wire. In order to get accurate hats, we really had to construct the from scratch to get all the satin, sequins and final touch of the lame bias trim on there in a screen accurate manner. This group of girls are all amazing seamstresses, they were able to follow my crazy tutorial instructions to turn out very uniform looking well fitted costumes and top hats! That alone is not easy. It's easy enough to crank out one costume that does not have to match anything else, it's another to replicate that long distance via online tutorials.
Back to Costumes Index >